Friday, September 3, 2010

The Big Question

1. Do people act according to their own integral, personal intentions? I find this question interesting because I believe a number of individuals do things in order to please their surroundings rather than act of their own accord. Thus, they become one of the many rather than pave their own individual paths. I feel that most of the time, I attempt to distinguish my self; ideas, personality, and decisions. But there are instances where I find myself holding back so as to not disturb the balance. If I insult someone or otherwise attack that individual because of their ideas or actions, it very well may throw out any opportunity to befriend or even have contact with that individual (due to the fact that the society has evolved to support the run into a corner and cry response -by responding with money, opportunity, and attention.) Anyway, the society has come to the conclusion that insulting anyone is terrible and criticism should be kept on the inside. "If you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything at all." Bah!

2. The Sun Also Rises greatly supports this question through all the social interaction. There are a couple moments when Jake reflects on how he does not actually enjoy spending time with his 'friends' and does not like them very much. Yet, he continues to remain in close contact with them. It is absurd. He is afraid to do anything that would disturb the flow. When he has a chance to have a real friend, who he meets while fishing, Jake does not go to any lengths to get in contact with the man but reflects on how a good time he had with him.

4. In AP US History, the class read about and discussed Anne Hutchinson. She did act of her own accord. She had many followers. She was leading many new ways of thinking and challenging old ways of how things were handled in government and religion. Now, this example would flat out answer my question with a big "YES!!!!!!" But the difficulty here is that other individuals within the society get close to hanging her, and she does end up exiled, which in that time and place was pretty darn close to a death sentence. Perhaps it would be better to verse the question with 'humanity' rather than 'people,' but people make up humanity so...... Anyway, the point is that it is obvious that the behavior to act of your own intentions rather than act within society is not condoned by any means.

2 comments:

  1. In other words, how is being "true to oneself" deemed morally wrong?

    Is personal intention necessarily selfish?

    At what point must one break with societal convention in order to preserve one's own integrity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say thank you to Mr. Kleeman for putting 'True to Your Heart' from Mulan in my head. Being true to yourself can put others' lives or ways of life in jepardy. So, for the 'greater good' mentality, being true to oneself is wrong, but I know I have been instucted that each life is precious regardless of other circumstances. So, morally there cannot be sacrifice of one for the many, but if the individual may hurt others.... it's difficult to say.
    Sure. Personal intention is selfish. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's like the airplane scenario: if you put the air mask on yourself first, you have the opportunity to help those next to you. If you attempt to help the person next to you, you may pass out, leaving both people to die. You need to help yourself so you can help others.
    This is difficult, and I could form a number of arguements depending on the circumstances. Right now, I argue that it depends on what the individual can handle. Though I was a great asset to the choir as a bass, I preferred not to sing in that range, and at times, it was very painful and hurtful to my voice. Because it was not going to be changed, I opted not to take choir this year. Though the choir would benefit from my presence, it would be too stressful for me to handle. Another thought came to mind, with football, though I am much better at playing nose tackle, I played defensive end this game because I am the next best end and we have a nose who can play almost as well as I can. I would have personally performed better at nose, but the team needed me at end. It's difficult. Definitely though, if the society challenges integrity or values or causes pain, the individual needs to challenge the system or get out. My father worked at a company while some people were doing some things they shouldn't have and were challenging his values. He fought it until he -erm- left the company.

    ReplyDelete